Friday, July 18, 2008

Purpose

My previous attempt at fitness had a clear purpose of overall health and weight loss. I am 5'8" and weighed 168 pounds when I started. I actually lost 10 pounds in about six weeks. Suprisingly, even after reverting back to sedentary living, I have managed to keep this weight off. I now weigh 157 pounds, and further weight loss will be most welcome. However, I can't say that losing weight is my purpose for this new plan. So, what is it? Why am I going through all the trouble? Why do I want to run a marathon next year? What is the purpose? Well, the main reason I want to do this is to increase my overall happiness. See, I am hoping that becoming physically active will have a snowball effect and create some positive momentum in my life. This momentum/energy will be used to clean up some messy areas of me. Along with this "momentum", I hope to experience increased energy, stamina, mental clarity, spiritual awakening, physical strength, self-discipline, self-esteem, and motivation. That is my purpose... for now. Throughout this journey, I will be open to this purpose changing.

Next Post: Some short and long-term goals

No comments: